St. Mawgan, Newquay
St. Eval Church is dedicated to St. Uvelus. This 13th century church stands proudly and quite alone visible for miles around, surrounded by the disused runways of RAF St. Eval, an important coastal command airfield during the 1939 - 1945 war. The splendid tower, 60 feet tall, was built during the summer of 1727, to replace an earlier tower that fell into disrepair in the mid 1600s. The church was enlarged in the mid 16th century and there is the remains of a medieval screen and an elaborately carved part of the Rood Screen base.
The pulpit has been recently restored and the date 1638, together with the name of the Minister and Churchwardens can be seen on the base stringers. The Font is very plain and is from Norman times, as is one remaining window in the North wall. There are 23 carved bench-ends dating from the mid 16th century and at the back are 3 original pews. In 1989 a memorial was dedicated for RAF St. Eval which includes a memorial window and Book of Remembrance. A very interesting church in an unlikely situation.